Women City

View Rudra  pratap 's Profile
What advice would seasoned women in tech give to younger girls deciding to make a tech career for themselves? Edit
What advice would seasoned women in tech give to younger girls deciding to make a tech career for themselves?
Asked by Rudra pratap | Mar 29 2013 | Report this Report abuse
Replies (3)
View sahib puniani 's Profile
HI
Today i came across this amazing new website named nupinch.com...i really think you guys should check it out..
Link: http://bit.ly/XczfI3
Apr 9 2013 | Report this Report abuse
View Aarpit  Gupta 's Profile
Working in the tech industry is awesome. You get to go out and build the future every day. In spite of what you might think, giving the paucity of females in tech, it's a pretty good place for women to work:

It's got one of the smallest income gender gaps (I believe it's about 96% vs. an average of 70%).
The pay is generous (at least for software engineers).
It tends to be relatively flexible, in terms of when you work.
It's very easy to work remotely.
Apr 6 2013 | Report this Report abuse
View Akhilesh  Gupta 's Profile
Don't ever play the "girl" card. Don't play the "I'm a helpless victim who needs you" card. Be competent. Be respectful of others and they'll be respectful of you. Don't ever *demand* respect, take it. Do it because you love it, not because you want to prove girls can too.

Paying lip service to how much someone needs to recognize your achievements is a surefire way to be written off as someone who needs self-promotion because they don't have the chutzpah to allow their talents to speak for them.

Geeks almost never look at gender when they're being exclusionary, it's almost entirely a case of "can you talk the talk and not sound like an idiot".
Apr 5 2013 | Report this Report abuse